If you’re living with HIV and Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, and you need support, contact Positive Life on (02) 8357 8386, 1800 245 677 (freecall) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Positive Life NSW Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People Living with HIV Health Co-Design project was a needs assessment of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (Indigenous) community of NSW. It aimed to co-design a culturally sensitive program/service model which achieves higher health and social determinants of health outcomes for Indigenous people in NSW, including those living with HIV and those at risk of acquiring HIV.
- The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People Living with HIV Health Co-Design project has closed and the report is available below.
- The project had a nine-member advisory group made up of people from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community in NSW, four of whom live with HIV to provide guidance and advice during each stage of the project.
- We secured ethics approval from the Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council (AH&MRC) to support culturally safe interviews with interviewees.
- A local Aboriginal artist was been commissioned to paint an artwork used on all Aboriginal Health Program correspondence and promotional collateral.
- An Interview Guide was been developed and approved by Advisory Group, along with a recruitment poster and postcard which was distributed to over 49 Aboriginal Medical Services (AMSs) and over 100 s100 prescribers across NSW.
- A literature review regarding HIV amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to support and inform Aboriginal-focused health service delivery and evaluation was completed.