Positive Life NSW
The Anal Cancer Advocacy Group was established in 2013 to:
- Raise awareness of HPV-related anal cancer in high risk populations (all people living with HIV, HIV-negative gay, bisexual and men who have sex with men [GBMSM], trans and gender diverse identifying people) and the need for regular screening and early detection of anal cancer
- Raise awareness of HPV-related anal cancer in clinicians treating high risk populations and the need for regular screening and early detection of anal cancer
- Advocate for referral services at hospitals (a few major hospitals in centres of populations at high risk) where High Resolution Anoscopy (HRA) can be performed as a diagnostic service
- Advocate for expanded access to HPV vaccination in high risk population groups.
The group meets quarterly and is made up of clinicians, researchers, and representatives from a range of HIV sector organisations and the Cancer Council of NSW, and chaired by Positive Life NSW.
- PLHIV & Gay Men’s awareness of HPV related anal cancer – Positive Life NSW Community Report
- Digital Ano-Rectal Examination (DARE) – Positive Life NSW Factsheet
- Anal Cancer Screening – Positive Life NSW information
- The low down on anal cancer – Positive Life NSW blog post
- Anal Cancer: are women at risk? – Positive Life NSW blog post
- Anal Cancer in people living with HIV – Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM)